Vegetarian Mulligatawny Soup
Because I blend this soup after cooking, I don’t do much chopping, dicing, peeling, etc. I only cut up the veggies in big ol’ chunks. Then, after cooking, I let the blender do the work.
- 3 T olive oil
- 2-3 t green or red curry paste to taste
- ½ to 1 t cumin
- ¼ t cayenne pepper
- 1 medium sweet or yellow onion chopped small
- 4-5 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 med carrots diced
- 1 c cauliflower florets chopped
- 2 large granny smith apples cored and diced
- 1 med sweet potato peeled and diced
- 2 heaping cups thinly shredded cabbage
- 1 q veggie broth
- 1 14 oz can fire roasted tomatoes with juice
- 2 c cooked chickpeas
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 14 oz. can coconut milk
- Juice of one lime
Heat olive oil over medium heat in a soup kettle. Add curry, cumin, cayenne and stir for 1 minute. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, cauliflower, apples, sweet potatoes and cabbage, and sauté until softened, 7-10 minutes.
Stir in broth, tomatoes, and chickpeas; season with sea salt, if desired. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, cover and simmer the soup, stirring occasionally, until veggies are tender about 20-30 minutes.
Add coconut milk and lime juice. Stir well. Taste for seasoning adjustments. Heat through gently; don’t boil.