- 3 cups chicken bone broth
- 3 cups full fat coconut milk
- 2 to 3 stalks lemongrass
- 2- inch piece of galangal root or substitute ginger root, cut into 8 to 10 rounds the size and shape of quarters (or silver dollars)—galangal can also be found in dried form (Thai Kitchen brand)
- 4 kaffir lime leaves if you can find them, ripped into four pieces each
- 2 uncooked chicken breasts or alternately, 3 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1 to 2 cups thinly sliced shiitake or oyster mushrooms or any other mushrooms
- 1 TB fish sauce
- 1 lime
- 1 green onion thinly sliced
- 1 TB chopped cilantro leaves
- optional: 2 or more Thai bird chilies or other chili of choice stem removed and lightly crushed
Bring the stock to a boil, skim off any foam that rises to the top.
Add all ingredients, except the fish sauce, cilantro, and green onion.
Simmer for about 15 minutes.
Season to taste with salt, and fish sauce.
Ladle into soup bowls or mugs, and garnish with cilantro and green onions.