from Cooking for Hormone Balance by Magdalena Wszelaki
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large leek, thinly sliced
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 unpeeled carrot, finely chopped
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh shitake mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp salt
- 6 cups bone broth (I use chicken)
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1/2 pound fresh oyster mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, cook bacon until brown and crisp. Remove bacon bits and set aside, leaving the fat in the pan.
Add the leek, celery, and carrot and cook uncovered until softened, about 10 minutes.
Add the cremini and shitake mushrooms; cook uncovered until reduced in size by half, about 5 minutes.
Add garlic, tarragon, thyme, and salt and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add broth and coconut aminos. Scrape the bottom of the pot to loosen any bits of vegetable, and then bring the soup to a boil on high heat. Reduce to medium-high heat, add oyster mushrooms and cook for 3 more minutes. Add freshly squeezed lemon juice. Garnish with bacon.